Friday, October 29, 2010

Review - Wicked Appetite



Title: Wicked Appetite
Author: Janet Evanovich
Publishing Date: September 2010
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B
Sensuality: Subtle
Book Disclosure: I borrowed a copy from the library.

Wicked Appetite is the first in a new series by Janet Evanovich. Some readers might be familiar with her character Diesel who appeared in the Stephanie Plum series, the Plum books between the numbers. Diesel a man of mystery heads to Salem Massachusetts to find a woman Lizzie who will help him locate magical objects. But Diesel is not the only person looking for these magical objects, his cousin Wulf is also looking for the objects and doesn’t have good intention in his use of them. Trouble seems to follow Lizzy and Diesel has his hands full protecting her.

Wicked Appetite has a very similar vibe to the Stephanie Plum series. Lizzie narrates the story from first person point of view. Her life starts to get crazy when Diesel walks into the bakery. She becomes the reluctant owner of a one eyed cat, a monkey Carl and she can't seem to dodge a hunky, mystery man. Even her best friend starts thinking she is a witch and tries to cast spells. Of course these spells go awry.

I think that if you are a fan of the Stephanie Plum books then you will like her new series. As far as the romance goes there is no love triangle in this series. Diesel and Lizzie are attracted to each other, but there is a complication that will make a relationship difficult. I foresee this complication as a way for Evanovich to draw out the romance in this series, which could potentially be a problem for romance fans. However, I am willing to give this series another a try, after all the writing is fast paced and funny.

Here is what others had to say:
Book Chick City

6 comments:

Marg said...

I have this out from the library at the moment. I was considering reading it today, but when I went to pick it up, I realised it was with a sense of foreboding in case it was just another version of Stephanie Plum

I will most likely give it a go now.

Jill D. said...

Marg - It is very reminencent of Stephanie Plum, especially in tone and characterization, but the plot and theme is different. Proceed at your own risk :)

Mollie said...

I put this on reserve at the library. I gave up on the Plum series around book...12ish I think. I was just tired of the lack of character/relationship developments.

I always enjoyed Diesel when he showed up so I was going to give this one a try! Glad you enjoyed it.

Jill D. said...

Mollie - It's funny that you gave up on the Plum at about 12ish because me and my Mom were just talking about how the series flatlined right at that same spot. My Mom is on book 15 now and said Evanovich's writing is back up to par. I am just trying not to read the Plum books back to back because then they all start blending together.

nath said...

The Stephanie Plum books didn't start out with a love triangle either. The love triangle started appearing around book 5 or 6 if I remember correctly.

Isn't it sad when you've burned out on an author? That's how I feel about Janet Evanovich. Can't even muster excitement ^_^;

Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Jill D. said...

Nath - If you are burned out then I would not recommend this one to you. Yeah it is a total bummer when you get burned out on an author. That is what happened with Anne Stuart for me becuase I started glomming all her books. It was just recently after about a year that I could read and enjoy her book, Reckless.