Sunday, October 24, 2010

Review - Where Dreams Begin



Title: Where Dream Begin
Author: Lisa Kleypas
Publishing Date: 2000
Genre: Historical
Rating: B
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I borrowed a copy from my library after I realized that there was a Kleypas book I hadn't read yet.

Holly Taylor was widowed at a young age when her husband died unexpectedly of a fever. Holly has grieved for three years. Even though she is still grieving, because hers was a love match, she attends a ball to reinsert herself into society. Unexpectedly while taking some air, a man mistakes her for his lover and steals a kiss. Holly is shocked, yet surprised at what this stranger awakens in her. The stranger is Zachary Bronson, a self made millionaire in search of a wife to gain him entre into London's most prestigious sitting rooms. When Zachary sets his sights on something, nothing can stop him and he sets his sights on Holly.

Where Dreams Begin is not my favorite book by Lisa Kleypas. I graded this book a B which is a favorable grade, yet there where things about this book that drove me crazy but Kleypas's writing and her ability to draw me in kept me from giving this book a lower grade.

My major problem was Holly. I liked her but sometimes her behavior was wishy-washy and inconsistent. She had already experienced love with her first husband and is hesitant to love again for fear of losing it. Could she survive the loss twice in one lifetime?

Zachary is the best part of the book for me. He is the ideal man, self sufficient, sensual, protective and willing to put his needs aside for Holly's. Wow. What a man! I enjoyed seeing him slowly fall in love with Holly over the course of the story. This is the strength of the book to me, the fact that Simon and Holly fall in love slowly and the discovery of their mutual love.

Here is what others had to say:
Books, Books and More Books

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I haven't read this one yet. Good review - I want to read all about Zachary now. :)

Kristie (J) said...

I totally agree with you one this one. It's not one of my faves, but Zachary was a GREAT hero up pretty high on my favourite Kleypas hero list. I don't remember Holly that much except that I found her a bit bland too.

Jill D. said...

Tracy - I hope you enjoy it.

Kristie - Zach was pretty much all that saved this one for me. Lisa Kleypas does write the best heroes. It would be hard for me to choose a favorite.