Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Review - Veil of Night



Title: Veil of Night
Author: Linda Howard
Publishing Date: August 2010
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I borrowed a copy from my library.

Jaclyn Wilde literally runs into Eric Wilder while dealing with a traffic violation at city hall. They end up later at a bar and have a night of very passionate sex. The next day Eric is called in to investigate the homicide of a young woman. It turns out Jaclyn is the main suspect, seeing as the victim was a young bride and Jaclyn her wedding planner. Jaclyn had been slapped in the face because the "bridezilla" was anything but pleased with Jaclyn's service. Eric has to clear Jaclyn's name and can't play favorites especially because of their former relationship.

Veil of Night starts off strong. It has a fast, interesting beginning. Unfortunately, things slowly deteriorate from there. First off, let me state for the record that I cannot be impartial when writing this review. I have been a long time fan of Linda Howard. She is one of my favorite all time authors, however I have been less than enthusiastic with her recent releases. This one included.

The problem for me is that I have come to expect a really superb romance, with a strong romantic thread between the hero and heroine. Veil of Night does not deliver in this aspect. While Jaclyn is a fine heroine and Eric a definite hero, the romance is left to the wayside as Howard allows the murder and the details to detract from the main relationship. I can't help but compare Howard's recent work with her former and it just can't compare.

I would say that if reading Howard for the first time, there is still something about her writing that can lend itself to intrigue. The characters invite confidence and an easy manner that will draw readers in. The mystery is somewhat ordinary and hard core mystery fans will most likely think that part of the story is weak. Overall, I am not impressed. I just can't help compare Veil of Night to her other work and it just doesn't stand up. It makes me so sad. I just don't want to give up on her books, but what can I do? I don't think I can hang in there any longer.


Here is what others had to say:
Dear Author
Dirty Sexy Books

4 comments:

nath said...

I think that's pretty much how Jane felt about the book. Sigh, too bad. I was really hoping for something more LH-ish. Lucky I didn't buy it yet ^_^;

Maija said...

I have one of the best and one of the worst reading experiences from Howard. That's why I don't know what I'm going to get if I read a book from her. Luckily my latest Howard belonged to that "great" class, so perhaps I'll try more from her...

Jill D. said...

Nath - Yeah, I was reading Jane's review and just nodding right along with her. I just read somewhere that LH posted on facebook that she has had some things going on in her personal life that has effected her writing. At first I was thinking that the publisher was directing her books to be more mainstream and lose the romance. I guess that was wrong.

Maija - I don't know what your greatest experience was with Linda Howard, but my favorites include Dream Man, Cry No More, McKenzie's Mountain, (anything McKenzie), Kell Sabine series, Open Season, Die For Me. Try one of those if you haven't yet.

Maija said...

Mackenzie's Mountain. Found it from a used bookstore, really hesitated to buy it but eventually did, left it in the bookshelf for a year or two, but finally picked it up... What a great book! :) That moment is a good example of those stupid moments, when you really blame yourself for not noticing such a good book before ("it was right in front of you the whole time") :)