Sunday, October 17, 2010

Best of 2001



I meant to do this post on Friday. I had really good intentions but I don't know what I was thinking. See, I was at a convention that day in Orlando. I sat in on workshops for food safety and met with people all day. I was very busy and didn't get home until late. Sometimes I think I am Superwoman and can do everything. Any hoo, better late than never - I always say!

 
On to 2001. Here are the top books for 2001 according to RWA and AAR.

 
***Bold means I read it - and () is my personal grade for that book. At the bottom will be my top picks for this year, based on what books I read.

 
RWA'S RITA AWARD WINNERS
The Border Bride by Elizabeth English (C)
True Confessions by Rachel Gibson
Beneath a Southern Sky by Deborah Raney
Coming Home To You by Fay Robinson
The Bridal Season by Connie Brockway (C)
Heart Mate by Robin D. Owens
Much Obliged by Jessica Benson
The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen
A Long Hot Christmas by Barbara Daly
Tempt Me Twice by Barbara Dawson Smith (B)
Quinn's Complete Seduction by Sandra Steffen

 
AAR's READER'S CHOICE AWARDS
Over the Edge by Suzanne Brockmann (A)
True Confessions by Rachel Gibson
Fast Women by Jennifer Crusie
This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (B-)
One Good Turn by Carla Kelly
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
Gabriel's Woman by Robin Schone
Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas (B)
Beyond Innocence by Emma Holly (B)
The Indiscretion by Judith Ivory
Danegeld by Susan Squires
The Protector by Madeline Hunter
Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning (B+)
Ritual of Proof by Dara Joy

 
Romance Rookie's Top Picks
Over the Edge by Suzanne Brockman (A)
Darkling I listen by Katherine Sutcliffe (A)
The Defiant Hero by Suzanne Brockman (A)
Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood (B+)
The Swan Maiden by Susan King (B+)
Moving Target by Elizabeth Lowell (B+)
Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning (B+)
An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn (B+)
Awaken, My Love by Robin Schone (B+)

 
A couple of things of note:
  • I read a total of 27 books published in 2001.
  • I wasn't crazy about the RITA books I managed to read as none made my top list. However, True Confessions and Heart Mate look promising.
  • It looks like that my picks match better with AAR's than with the RITAs.
  • Five of my top books for that year were romantic suspense.

Any books from this year that are your favorites that I should make a point to read? Agreements, disagreements with my list?

6 comments:

Hilcia said...

Jill, I think it's great that you have a record of what you read in 2001. I don't. And frankly I don't really remember what I was reading then, except I think it was mostly Romantic Suspense -- I went through a phase during that time.

I do remember reading Kiss of the Highlander by Moning -- I loved that one. I have read other books in those lists, but not in 2001 and I still have some of them in my TBR: the Judith Ivory and Madeline Hunter and two of them.

nath said...

Meh, I haven't read many books published in 2001. i would agree with your choice of Julia Quinn, but that's pretty much it. I don't think True Confessions was that good ^_^;

Wendy said...

Oh boy. I have a number of these in the TBR. Of what I've read...

The Surgeon is the first book in a series by Gerritsen and I'm hooked. That said, this is a suspense book with gory bits - so not for everyone.

I've read A Long Hot Christmas by Daly and I remember liking it quite a bit. It wasn't a keeper though, so details are fuzzy.

Our final grades for Suddenly You by Kleypas match.

Darkling I Listen was just OK for me. I thought Bad Moon Rising was the much stronger book - but I've long known I'm in the minority with that opinion.....

Jill D. said...

Hi Hilcia - Actually, this is just a record of what books I read that were published in 2001, not that I read these books in 2001. As a matter of fact, I just recently read This Heart of Mine a couple of months ago. I didn't actually start reading romance until 2005 (I think). Ever since I started reading a lot of books, which was I believe in 2005 I kept a spreadsheet in Excel. This was just for me to keep track and over time I like to go back and organize my favorite reads based on publishing year or genre. I am always adding more information to my spreadsheet as the years go by, LOL.

Nath - Bummer on the True Confessions. That one was sounding good to me. I am still going to give it a try though. I'll let you know what I think, LOL!

Wendy - I remember you pimping the Tess Garrison books quite a bit. Since this one is the first in the series I might have to give it a try. I do enjoy a good suspense. I am not sure if I am recalling correctly but I think it was either you or Keishon (Avid Reader) who turned me on to Katherine Sutcliffe. I enjoyed both Darkling I listen and Bad Moon Rising. I even enjoyed some of her historicals.

Leslie said...

The ones I've read are ones you've already read so can't help with any recs. At first I was like Hils and thought you'd been keeping track of your reading since then. LOL

I'm still impressed that you've been keeping a list for 5 years. :)

I'd pick Over the Edge as my favorite for that year.

Jill D. said...

Leslie - When it comes to lists I am the master. I am completely obsessive about it actually, LOL! Over the Edge was fantastic. Thinking back I think it is my favorite book by Suzanne Brockmann.