Monday, September 7, 2009

Review - Hot Pursuit




Title: Hot Pursuit
Author: Suzanne Brockmann
Publishing Date: August 2009
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: B
Sensuality: Hot

Hot Pursuit is the 15th book in Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series. Anyone who is familiar with my blog knows how much I love this series. Brockmann has gone back to two of fans' favorite characters, Alyssa and Sam. Their story continues as they are now happily married with an infant son. Alyssa and Sam both work for a private firm Troubleshooters Inc. which was founded by Sam's former SEAL Chief Tom Paoletti. Alyssa takes an assignment to provide protection to a young congress woman who has received threatening notes recently. Things take a sinister turn when a heart is found in the bottom of her secretary's desk.

Suzanne Brockmann is known for her multiple story arcs and Hot Pursuit is no exception. This time Danny Gillman, or Gilligan as his SEAL brothers refer to him meets Jennilyn who is an aid to the congresswoman, Maria. He pursues her for a two week fling while he is in New York with no strings attached. Jennilyn is used to men ignoring her while they trip over their tongues after they lay eyes on Maria. So when Danny approaches Jennilyn she isn't exactly sure how to handle him.

Hot Pursuit is typical Brockmann with great dialogue and interesting characters, yet it definitely wasn't my favorite by her. Part if this was due to the fact that I didn't really like Danny. I hated the way he approached Jennilyn. It wasn't romantic, it was logical and cold and quite frankly, a big turn off. But their story will continue in Brockmann's next book and with faith I am sure she can turn Danny into real "Hero" material. He just didn't have it in this book. He was too selfish by far, and has some growing to do.

Alyssa and the killer portion of the book went well. Sometimes the killer narrated the story, but they were brief and spaced far apart. One complaint I had was the way the cover summary mislead my expectations of the book. This is the part that I am scratching my head over:

But then, while investigating a suspect, Alyssa is ambushed and suddenly finds herself imprisoned by The Dentist. Cut off from everyone she loves and relies on, Alyssa must call upon all of her strength and skill to survive this final confrontation with the sadistic monster, meanwhile trusting that her Troubleshooter teammates, led by her beloved Sam, will reach her before it’s too late.


For me these two sentences ramped up the suspense because every time Alyssa was by herself, I kept waiting her to get abducted. She does, but let's just say it was misleading.

Brockmann wrote an Author's Note at the end of the book. In it she states that she will have one more Troubleshooters book where Izzy and Gillman will get their happy endings. But she may not write anymore after that. I will be sad if that is the case. I want Lopez to find someone!

Here is what others had to say:

Book Junkie
Thrifty Reader
Romance Novel TV
Book Binge
imagic Reflections
Leslie's Psyche
Arch's Bookland

This book can be purchased in print and kindle format from Amazon.

3 comments:

SarahT said...

I seriously need to do some catching up on this series. I'm about five books behind! Thanks for the review.

nath said...

Well after 15 or 16 books in a series, it might be good to take a break, don't you think? At least, Danny and Izzy are getting their HEA. Hmmm.

Tracy said...

I have it but haven't read it yet! And only/possibly one more book? Ack! What will I do? lol

Thanks for the review!