Sunday, August 2, 2009

Series Sunday - Vampire Queen





Joey Hill's Vampire Queen Series immerses readers into the BDSM world where the vampires are dominant and their servants are, well... subservient. The first three books in this series feature a twist to the D/s relationship where the female, in this case a vampire, is the dominant, controlling force in the relationship. The male is the servant. But the key to this relationship is the male's willingness to submit to the female. His instincts rule him to be the protector, yet he is compelled to please his female by submitting to her wishes. This is an unusual dichotomy for a romance and one that I think Joey Hill has done well.

I have read the first three books in this series. The first two books are really one story broken into two separate books. They feature Elyssa and Jacob and should be read in order. Then the third and fourth books feature two new couples and can be read separately. So depending on where you want to jump in with this series, the third or fourth book could be read by itself without hindering the reading experience, if books one and two haven't been read.

Series Reading Order:

1. The Vampire Queen's Servant (Elyssa and Jacob)
2. The Mark of the Vampire Queen (Elyssa and Jacob)
3. A Vampire's Claim (Dani and Dev)
4. Beloved Vampire (Jessica and Mason)


A really nice interview was posted recently at The Good, The Bad, The Unread and if you scroll down about halfway is very informative on this series.

4 comments:

~ames~ said...

I have the first in this series. I'm going to have to pick it up soon b/c I find the idea of the woman being dominant very intriguing. LOL

Jill D. said...

Ames - you know, I thought I wouldn't like a woman being the dominant but that wasn't the case with these books. Joey Hill is a great writer. I hope you enjoy them when you get to them.

Leontine said...

Hi Jill,
I have Joey W Hill with another series on my b-day list and was pondering on this one too. I skipped it because I have no idea how her writing and world et cetera will appeal to me. Still, the concept of this series intriguis me, just like ~ames~ :D

Jill D. said...

Leontine, You should definitely give Hill a try. She is really good. This is the only series I have read by her, but she has an extensive back list. Check out her website if you get a chance, or that interview she did with The Good, The Bad, The Unread.