Saturday, August 8, 2009

Review - One Foot in the Grave




Title: One Foot in the Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publication Date: May 2008
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot

One Foot in the Grave is book 2 of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series. Four years has past since book 1 and Cat has kept herself busy hunting down paranormal creatures for a covert branch of the US Government. Cat has made a name for herself in the undead community for her prowess with a stake. She has been dubbed the "Red Reaper" and there is a price on her head. A series of events leads Bones back into her life and they must come to terms on how to make this work, because Bones plans on staying in her life. Permanently.

I am really loving this series. Cat has a very snarky sense of humor that makes her so much fun as a narrator. She never takes herself too seriously and I love that about her. She is totally bad ass, but she still has some vulnerability to her and readers can't help but love her for it. Of course there is also Bones who wants to give Cat the world and is willing to do anything for her. He is just so dee-lish! The world building is integrated so nicely into the story, I never feel inundated with huge info dumps. Everything is very organic and I find myself unable to put the book down! Which is really outstanding considering I have been in a reading slump.

One thing that did surprise me was the four year gap between books 1 and 2. I was kind of hoping to see a little of Cat's transformation into team leader. I would have enjoyed seeing the dynamic of her working with the new team members that she hand picked. It would have been good to see her develop a relationship with them as she trained them. Instead the reader has to take the relationships at face value and go with it. But really this is just a minor complaint and only bears mentioning because I wanted more - which in the end is really a good thing. Right?

Here is what others had to say:

Urban Fantasy Land
Romance Novel TV
Iron Inklings
Not Enough Books and Other Things
Vampire Romance Books
Ticket to Anywhere

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

6 comments:

KT Grant said...

All I have to say is chapter 32. ;)

Mandi said...

I second the chapter 32 comment.

I was very surprised four years passed...I remember reading it thinking, she must mean four months..lol. Awesome book though. Love this series.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Mmm-Hmm, Chapter 32! I like this series because, well,of course I luv Bones, but Cat is a great character. She's tough without being annoyingly so. (and I secretly love Tate, too!)

Christine said...

I'm so happy to see you're enjoying this series, Jill! I just bought the fourth book at Target the other day, but realized I never picked up or read book 3 yet!! I need to order it.

I remember being a little surprised and disappointed about the gap when I first read this book 2. But I got over it once the story got going. And I hate to be a conformist and all... but yeah. Chapter 32.

I agree with Patti regarding Tate. He was one of my favorite characters in this installment as well. He just made the story so much more raw and genuine, I think.

SarahT said...

I have the first book in this series but I haven't read it yet. Now I'm intrigued!

Jill D. said...

LOL, you guys crack me up with your Chapter 32 references! Yes, I remember fanning myself going, Oh. My. God.

I also liked Tate and wanted to get to know him better, which was why I was disappointed with the four year gap.

Sarah - You have got to read it. Frost has a great narrative voice. The writing is sharp and the characters will pull you in.