Monday, February 4, 2008

Review - Marly's Choice


Title: Marly’s Choice
Author: Lora Leigh
Publishing Date: 2002
Genre: Erotic
Rating: D
Sensuality: Burning

Marly grew up as a teenager with Cade and his brothers. They took her in to protect her from her stepfather. Cade’s early relationship with Marly was that of an older, protective brother. He saw her as a child; not as a woman. Marly is home from college for Cade’s father’s funeral. Marly is all grown up now and wants Cade in a way that is anything but sisterly.

I had many problems with this book. I will get to those in minute, but first what I liked. The best part about this book was Marly. She was a feisty woman who wasn’t afraid to go after what she wanted. Another bonus was that she never had any too stupid to live moments. However, it all went downhill from there. As much as I like my bad-boy heroes bad, Cade was not likeable at all. He really annoyed me. He spent way too much time brooding over the fact that he wasn’t good enough for Marly, and then on top of that, he would be deliberately mean to her as a way to try and keep his distance from her. I would have liked to have seen a better balance between his dominance and tenderness for Marly.

This book also had much too much mental lusting for my taste. After a while, it became redundant. Yeah, I get it, you think she’s hot and she thinks you’re hot. Gotcha. There is no need to repeat it a thousand times. Also, there was one point where there was voyeurism involving the villain. Can we say “eww?” I really didn’t find that too sexy. As a matter of fact, it kind of grossed me out. I hate to say it, but Lora Leigh and I just aren’t working out.

5 comments:

Jace said...

Sounds a lot like Dangerous Games that I read a while ago. LOL

nath said...

You're not the only one for which LL is not working. i haven't read this book, because I suspect it's a bit too much for me... but I found her breed series boring :( too much sex and the worst, is that it's the same in all of them.

Jill D. said...

Ladies, I am so glad to know I am not alone in my opinion of Leigh. I tried, I really did, but I am ready to move on. :)

Holly said...

I agree that Marly was a good character, but too many other elements of the story didn't work for me. I've read..hmm...maybe 5 of her books, and none of them really worked for me. She seems to write nothing but the same plots and same sex.

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one. :)

Jill D. said...

Holly,

I have tried 4 of her books and three from the breed books and now this one. Yep, just not interested. Nice to see I am not alone in my opinion.