Saturday, February 16, 2008

Review - Extreme Danger

 


Title: Extreme Danger
Author: Shannon McKenna
Publishing Date: February 2008
Genre: Romantic Suspense (Erotic)
Rating: B
Sensuality: Burning

Becca Cattrell recently discovered, in a very public way, that her fiancé was cheating on her. She works at a posh country club as an event planner. Her boss suggests that she spend the weekend relaxing and loans Becca the use of her boyfriend’s cabin. A depressed, downtrodden Becca accepts the invitation. Later that evening, after imbibing too much wine, she decided to take a swim (naked) in the neighbor’s pool. She gets a scary surprise when Nick Ward discovers her in the pool and thinks she is a femme fatale sent to kill him. Nick, a former FBI agent, has gone undercover to flush out Zhoglo, a Russian mafia boss. They both end up in “Extreme Danger”.

McKenna’s best talent lies with her ability to write fantastic conversation. The reader is able to get a true sense of the characters’ personalities through the dialog. Nick and Becca had fun conversations where I found myself laughing out loud; and yet they also had touching, tender moments too. This is true of Nick, especially, who was so desperate for something joyful or happy to grasp onto in his life. When Becca comes along, he can’t help but be drawn to her. The pages practically sizzled with the force of Nick’s desire for Becca. I liked that they kept constantly challenging each other and there was never a dull moment. It was really great to watch both of these characters evolve over the course of the story. Please note that McKenna uses crude language during the sex scenes. Usually, it was through the man’s point of view. This may bother some people. I did feel though, that it was in context of the person using the language, mainly Nick. He does, after all, refer to himself as basically a “caveman”.

Throughout most of this book, I was hanging on the edge of my seat. The suspense part of the story was very detailed and gruesome. While I appreciated the depth of the suspense, I could have done without the passages involving the children. That was really hard to read. Also, I personally do not like being privy to the villain’s point of view. I most definitely do not need to know what turns him on sexually. For those readers who may be turned off by that…beware.

6 comments:

Jace said...

Jill, you read lots of Rom-Suspense, don't you? :) Great ... just means I can pick your brains when I'm in the mood for a good Rom-Suspense book! *grin*

Kristie (J) said...

I've heard that this one is pretty good. I loved Behind Closed Doors but then not so much for her books after that one. I think I'll have to give her another try with this one!

Ana said...

Liked the review! It sounds interesting.
By the way, I tagged you for this meme thing that is going around....
Cheers!
Ana

Jill D. said...

Jace, Yeah I guess I do read a lot of romantic suspense. I didn't realize it. I will read pretty much anything :)

Kristie, What didn't you like about the other books? Was the hero to much of a jerk? I have heard that complaint from others. I have liked all of her books so far. I just really like her writing style. The way she does her conversations between the H/h just blows me away.

Ana, Oh, you picked me :) Okay I will check out the meme...

Kristie (J) said...

It wasn't that the heroes were jerks - it was more that the heroines were too weak. There just didn't seem to be the right balance - if you know what I mean.

Jill D. said...

Kristie, Well, actually I liked the fact that the heroines are "normal" women. By that, I mean they aren't out everyday kicking lots of bootie. They seem to struggle with the same things I struggle with, like trying to please everybody and putting myself last. Maybe that's why her books never seem to bother me. Plus, it cracks me up that her heroes are usually over sexed cavemen. What's not to love :)

But, I can see where you are coming from. It's no fun if you think the relationship is unbalanced.