Friday, February 29, 2008

Highly Anticipated Books for March

 


Title: Thigh High
Author: Christina Dodd
Publisher: Penguin Group
Release Date: March 4, 2008
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Length: 400 pages

I really enjoyed the last Christina Dodd book Tongue in Chic and I am looking forward to the next one Thigh High. (What is with these ridiculous titles? They are pretty bad in my humble opinion.) An added bonus to this book is that it’s set in New Orleans. Many of my favorite books have taken place in this city. I hope this is one I can add to the list.

Here is the summary from the back cover.
Nessa Dahl always had the good sense to steer clear of trouble. Then Jeremiah MacNaught showed up in New Orleans, determined to get to the bottom of a string of bank robberies by two women wearing Mardi Gras masks. Little does Nessa realize that the handsome investigator is convinced she's involved with the crimes-or that he's willing to do anything to get the truth. Even if it means taking the beautiful woman he's convinced is a liar and a thief straight to bed... Excerpt

 


Title: A Reason To Sin
Author: Maureen McKade
Publisher: Penguin Group
Release Date: March 4, 2008
Genre: Western Romance
Length: 304 pages

A Reason to Sin is the third book in the Forrester Brothers series. The first two books in this series have been really good and I am looking forward to Slater’s story.

This is pathetic, but this was the only summary I could find on this book and I’m afraid there is no excerpt.

A former well-to-do young woman winds up alone, homeless, and desperate to get her son back. Little does she know that she'll encounter a man destined to change the course of her life.

 



Title: Witch Blood
Author: Anya Bast
Publisher: Penguin Group
Release Date: March 2008
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Length: 304 pages

I read the first book Witch Fire and loved the humor in it and I also thought it was pretty steamy. The different witch powers are interesting, so I am interested in continuing Bast’s paranormal world. Witch Blood is the second book in this series.

Here is the summary:
A water witch, Isabelle Novak has always led a chaotic, nomadic existence. But her life spins out of control when her sister—her only friend and emotional anchor — is killed by a demon. Driven by grief and a desire for revenge, she turns her back on the Coven and the rede they hold sacred: Harm thee none...
When Isabelle first encounters Thomas Monahan, she’s running on pure rage and sorrow, channeling her pain into power — and trying to freeze the life out of a warlock she holds responsible for her sister’s death. Together, they form an uneasy alliance to hunt and destroy a demon of tremendous power. As head of the Coven, earth witch Thomas must thwart Isabelle’s dark impulses, but his very presence stirs deeper desires she never knew she had…
Excerpt

9 comments:

nath said...

Hi Jill :) I'm not sure about Thigh High... I read the two previous books and thought they were okay... however, this one sounds good... So should I buy it or not... I guess that ultimately, it'll depend on the price.

Witch Blood got a good review at Sybil's. I'm going to look it up once I'm in the States, even if I haven't read book 1 yet. It's still sitting in my TBR pile... did you read it?

Kate said...

Didn't Christina Dodd used to write historicals - medievals, if I remember correctly? I seem to remember reading something of hers at some point, but don't think it was modern/suspense. Another historical writer bites the dust, I guess.

Jill D. said...

Nath, I hear all the time people talking about how they don't like Christina Dodd anymore. I don't see it. I still really like her books. Her writing style and characters appeal to me. If I where you, I would see if your library gets this book. I actually buy very few books. Most I get from my library.

Kate, Hi and welcome to my blog! Yes, Christina Dodd did write historicals. I have read a few of them myself. As far as her recent writing goes, she did just have a series with three sisters who are princesses, published in 2006. Other than that, I think her most recent work has been contemporary. I don't mind because I will read both historical and contemporary. It does seem that writers will write what sells though.

Kate said...

Yeah, it seems like so many historical authors are going the way of modern/contemporary or suspense, neither of which I'm a big fan of (though there are a few notable exceptions) - riding (writing?) the tides of popularity. Although I've never read a ton of Dodd's, Jude Deveraux used to be one of my favorites with great, fleshed-out, well-researched historicals, and she too has unfortunately gone the way of the contemp-fic. Anyway. I've been looking for some good new authors, so I'll have to lurk here more often. Thanks!

nath said...

Yeahk, well as I've previously mentioned on my blog, my library is not the best.

as for Christina Dodd... i never really liked her ^_^; I just read her when I have nothing to read... and she does have nice covers.

Christine said...

I've got WITCH BLOOD on my list, too! I LOVED WITCH FIRE. It was one of my faves for 2007. I hope WITCH BLOOD is as good or better! Can't wait!

I've only read Dodd's new paranormal series... SCENT OF DARKNESS and TOUCH of DARKNESS. They were both decent... the third and fourth books come out later this summer. I'll probably read them.

Jill D. said...

Nath, LOL what do you mean, when you have nothing to read? My TBR pile is miles long. I will never finish it in my lifetime. That sucks about your library. I would scream my head off if I didn't have a decent library.

Christine, Witch Blood was review over at The Good, The Bad and The Unread. I don't remember who reviewed it, but they did give it a good review.

I have also read Dodd's paranormal series, but I liked her contemporary better. I thought Tongue in Chic was really funny and I liked the H/h.

As far as the paranormal series goes, I just found out that books 3 and 4 are going to be released back to back in July and August this year.

Christine said...

I think books 3 and 4 of Dodd's paranormal series hold great promise. Just based on the characters, I think their stories might be more intriguing... with more plot twists and revelations, you know? I hope so anyway. I liked books 1 and 2 but they didn't blow me away.

Jill D. said...

Christine, I feel the same way about Dodd's paranormal series. I definitely think the plot will thicken in the remaining two books.